[Paraview] Python VTK readers

Fred Fred stan1313 at hotmail.fr
Tue Dec 1 04:24:15 EST 2009

> Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 13:01:24 -0500
> Subject: Re: [Paraview] Python VTK readers
> From: utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
> To: stan1313 at hotmail.fr
> CC: paraview at paraview.org
>
> >   - reading legacy VTK files?
> It's called "LegacyVTKReader"

Ok it works but there is a mistake in this page: http://paraview.org/OnlineHelpCurrent/LegacyVTKFileReader.html
since the name of the class is mentionned as "LegacyVTKFileReader"

> >   - reading any VTK file? I mean a general VTK file reader able to call the
> > appropriate reader, such as vtkDataSetReader in Tcl
>
> The equivalent of vtkDataSetReader is indeed the "LegacyVTKReader".

Right

> >   - some way to just read the header of a file and get the dataset type, in
> > order to check if the file type is appropriate for a given processing task?
>
> How to plan on checking if the file type is appropriate? Not sure what
> you are trying to do here.

Suppose I have a filter that can process only a limited set of file types: I would like to test the actual type of a file before applying the filter, so I try this:

  data = reader.GetDataInformation()
  data.IsA("vtkImageData")

which actually returns always 0, so I probably did not use the right method.