[Paraview] distributed stream tracer scalability issue

John Biddiscombe biddisco at cscs.ch
Tue Aug 25 15:13:40 EDT 2009

Burlen,

OK, if you are using rectilinear grids and image data and it is too
slow, then findCell is probably not the cause of your trouble, and using
locators won't help much. A modified version of the particle tracer may
well buy you something.
(Lets assume that your data is well balanced when loaded from disk, such
that pieces are approximately equal on each core and the more cores, the
better the loading).
The PT first classifies all seed points according to the bounds of the
pieces of the input data and distributes the seeds according to the
process they start in, then all processes integrate until all are
terminated, or have left the domain.
When each process has reached stagnation/termination, it goes through a
send/receive from it's neighbour processes (there is a BSP tree of
bounding boxes generated on initialization) so that each process
sends/receives only to/from where particles travel.
Each process then iterates again through it's new particle list and so on.

In your case, if the number of processes increases in such a way that
the number of particles per block is scaling nicely (at least at start
of integration), then you should see an improvement, because you don't
have to wait for one process to complete before starting. The total time
will still be dominated by the longest streamline + communication and
waits, but there is some scope for optimization.

I haven't committed the latest PT code yet, so maybe if you want to try
a customized version for your data you should contact me off list -
particularly if you can adapt the loading of the data / pieces to suit
the geometry of the seed points you are starting with (eg plane slices
through the data would benefit from pieces which are orthogonal to the
slices so that seeds become more distributed as core count increases -
etc etc)...

JB

John Biddiscombe,                            email:biddisco @ cscs.ch
http://www.cscs.ch/