[Paraview] distributed stream tracer scalability issue

Zhanping Liu zhanping.liu at kitware.com
Tue Aug 25 10:25:46 EDT 2009

Hi Burlen:

    Have you tried the RK-45 integrator? It uses an adaptive step size and
hence in many cases makes streamline integration faster than the other two
modes (RK-2 and RK-4)? I agree with John in that the low performance
exhibited to us might be caused by 'other' (data-depenent) components than
the inherent integration part itself, e.g., point location and cell location
in an unstructured grid (which are cetainly also related to streamline
integration).

    Thanks.

    -Zhanping

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 7:58 PM, burlen <burlen.loring at gmail.com> wrote:

> We've been using the distributed stream tracer to generate 100s-1000s of
> stream lines per time step. It's very slow, and it doesn't scale at all.
>  The class comments say as much. I'm sure there is a reason why this
> implementation was chosen. Is there something that generally prevents real
> parallel implementation? Is there a better implementation available out
> there?
>
> There is this post a while back
> http://www.paraview.org/pipermail/paraview/2009-July/012959.html
>
> What's the status?