[Paraview] ClipFunction Property

Jeshua Lacock jeshua at 3dTopo.com
Thu Aug 13 03:05:48 EDT 2009

Greetings,

I am trying to script ParaView's 3.6.1 clip class.

My script is something like:

connection = servermanager.Connect()
from paraview.simple import *
from paraview import servermanager

dataset = LegacyVTKReader(FileNames="myData.vtk")

plane = servermanager.implicit_functions.Plane()
plane.Normal = [1,0,0]
plane.Origin = [10.0,0.0,5.0]

clipper = servermanager.filters.Clip(Input=inputFile)

clipper.ClipFunction = plane

Which causes the error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
   File "/Users/kitware/ParaViewReleases/ParaView-3.6/ParaView3Bin/
Utilities/VTKPythonWrapping/paraview/servermanager.py", line 197, in
__setattr__
AttributeError: Attribute ClipFunction does not exist.  This class
does not allow addition of new attributes to avoid mistakes due to
typos. Use add_attribute() if you really want to add this attribute.

All of the documentation I can find on servermanager.filters.Clip
shows use of the ClipFunction property. I guess with 3.6.1 it no
longer exists?

How do I set the plane without it? I don't see any plane property for
servermanager.filters.Clip.

Can anyone point me to documentation for how to set the plane for the
filter?

Thank you,

Jeshua Lacock
Founder/Programmer