[Paraview] Exodus weirdness

Rick Angelini angel at arl.army.mil
Thu Apr 30 15:30:18 EDT 2009

I am working with one of my customers viewing an Exodus dataset
generated by Alegra(?) using 256p.    The dataset loads fine, but seems
to have an issue at the processor boundaries.    When viewing the
dataset using something like a clip plane or isosurface, the data seems
to be "slipped" (or offset) at each processor boundary - that is, there
appears to be a hard edge at each processor boundary.     Unfortunately,
I'm not able to post an image that represents the problem.

I'm not familiar with the Exodus data format, but it looks like it could
be an issue associate with ghost cells.   Either there are no ghost
cells at the processor boundary layer, or they're possibly being
mismanaged?     Curiously enough, this is the first time we've noticed
this problem after processing quite a few Exodus datasets.    We're
using the latest production version of Paraview (3.4) and we've also
been able to duplicate the issue with other visualization tools, so we
think this is a problem with this particular Exodus dataset, if not the
Exodus format in general.

Any ideas?