[Paraview] pvserver submission thru qsub/PBS

John Patchett patchett at lanl.gov
Thu Apr 16 16:01:50 EDT 2009

I have not tried a reverse connection from a batch job to a waiting
client, but it sounds like it should work.  Have you tried using a
normal batch script something like:
#PBS -A myproject
#PBS -N paraview
#PBS -j oe
#PBS -l walltime=00:01:00,size=512
cd /myparaviewbindir
mpirun  -n 512  ./pvserver  --reverse-connection --client-
host=myheadnode

as an aside,
forwarding X is generally much slower than it has to be.
My environment makes it very difficult to get the reverse connection
all the way to my desktop but i can do some port forwarding to get
port 11111 from my desktop to the back end node.
ssh -L11111:process0:11111 myheadnode
which would probably work a lot better/faster than forwarding X
We have a some machines that have a gateway and then a front end node,
which gets a lot more complicated, but can still be done with port
forwarding.

-John.