[Paraview] Exodus II in Windows machines

Renato Elias rnelias at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 11:33:00 EDT 2009

In some sense, yes. I mean, I know that Exodus II has Fortran bindings and
that it _should be_ easily compiled using CMake, even in Windows machines.
The problem is that I've never got success in compiling Exodus II in
Windows. Ok, it must be a problem with me... but it's not as easy as compile
VTK or ParaView and there's much more improvements to be done (my opinion).

Exodus II depends on Netcdf library. Netcdf, in my opinion, has a poor
support for Windows. Compile Netcdf using the source code, in Windows, seems
to be almost impossible... The library itself can be wonderful, but, with
poor portability it looses all of its power (my opinion again). Well, at
least there's something in the link
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-install/Building-and-Installing-NetCDF-on-Windows.html...
Ok, I downloaded this Netcdf precompiled library and tried to compile
Exodus II using CMake and got a bunch of error messages. It's frustrating...
(not to mention that weird requirement of C header adjustment to manage
large files... but it's another history...)

HDF5 is so much easier to use that I just decided to stick with Xdmf format.
The problem is that ParaView seems to be Exodus II driven for much of its
parallel resources. Every time I try to do something more complicated in
ParaView, I'm adviced that the resource is not available for the file format
I'm using.

Anyway, I'm sure there's people out there using Exodus II in Windows
machines (at least in Sandia labs). Including Fortran users. I was just
curious to know how these people managed to do that...

Renato.