[Paraview] VTK XML Binary Output

David Mulholland d.t.mulholland at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 1 21:14:57 EDT 2009

Hi Hom Nath,

Thank you very much for your email. The code you send it starting to make sense for me, I would just appreciate if you would explain a few things for me. At the minute I am outputting as follows within <AppendedData>:

size = idim*jdim*sizeof(float);
totalsize = size*4;
file << "_";
file.write(reinterpret_case<const char*>(&totalsize), 4);
file.write(&Array1, size);
file.write(&Array2, size);
file.write(&Array3, size);
file.write(&Array4, size);

But sadly it's not working. I compute the offset as:

for (i = 0; i < 4; i++)
{
    offset[i] = i*size;
}

Things get extremely strange in Paraview. I have one outputting five arrays same as above and I can read and view for first, third and fifth no problems but not the second or the fourth. The three that read even look like they should (although without extremely detailed checking.

I assume I am missing something about how to either compute the offset or the binary layout. Your code seems to say that each dataarray should have its own integer binary output tells the size of that data instead of just one at the start of the array?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
David