[Paraview] pvserver --use-offscreen-rendering

Robert Mueller mueller at tmfs.mpgfk.tu-dresden.de
Tue Sep 30 06:44:47 EDT 2008

Hi all,
I want to visualize simple 3d voxel data: creating iso surfaces, slices etc...
First interactive and later in batch mode.
As the data sets tend to get quite large (up to 1000x1000x1000 voxels) I
probably have to use some parallel computation. pvserver/pvbatch seem the
right tools for this, but the computing nodes don't have graphic cards I can
use. So I tried compiling pvserver with osmesa and using
the --use-offscreen-rendering switch. I tried some combinations of paraview
version/mesa-lib with and without mpi. It's always the same:
Stand alone paraview can open the (small) test files und display everything I
want. When using the client/server mode, the server crashes at the point when
more than a simple outline of the data has to be displayed.

Can somebody give instructions how to get a working pvserver fpr use without
without graphics hardware (versions, linux distribution, compiler version)?
Maybe I could build this system in virtual machine, just to have a valid
starting point.
I'm using ubuntu, amd64, 7.10

thank you
Robert Mueller