[Paraview] two questions

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Tue Sep 2 09:33:01 EDT 2008

>           I tried it , if I choose to launch the linux server mannuly, then
> connect to the server throgh paraview GUI on Windows, it worked well.
>
>           But, as we know, paraview could launch the server through command
> type, no need to launch the server before connecting.
>
>          This time ,  I failed, for the linux rufused it , how to avoid this ?

Are you sure that pvserver is being launched correctly?  It could be that
whatever command you gave to ParaView to launch the remote pvserver
executable is not correct.  If pvserver was launched properly, you should
see that after the failed connect there is still a pvserver running and
waiting for the client to connect (and you should be able to connect
manually).

If pvserver is being launched correctly, then the problem is probably that
the client is not waiting long enough to connect.  That is, the client tries
to connect to the server before the server is completely launched and
waiting for connections.  Try increasing the delay before connecting to the
server or get around the whole problem by doing a reverse connect.

>          the other one , I want to show some logos during the launch of
> pvserver on the server , how to custom the source code, could somome give
>
>          some suggestions ??

You could modify ParaView3/Executables/pvserver.cxx to make a splash screen
and then delete it before it calls vtkPVMain::Run.  However, pvserver
launches fast enough where you the splash screen would flash to fast to
actually see.  You could add a delay to keep the splash screen up longer,
but that would be more annoying than useful.

-Ken

   ****      Kenneth Moreland
    ***      Sandia National Laboratories
*** *** ***  email: kmorel at sandia.gov