[Paraview] How is builtin different from localhost?

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Mon Nov 24 13:43:08 EST 2008

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 1:33 PM, Biao She <shebiao at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all.
> I have tested paraview on a builtin server and a localhost server(run
> pvserver and connect client to it on the same computer). It seems to me that
> the builtin server is much faster than localhost server. Since the computer
> is the same, i am wondering if the localhost server have to readback all the
> data in GPU and transfer these data to client in order to be displayed? On
> the other hand, for the builtin server, the data in GPU is displayed
> directly(no readback). Could you please explain why the localhost is slower
> than builtin?
> Thanks very much!
>
> Aaron

The builtin server lives inside the same process as the client. All
communication between server and client takes place via pointers and
vtk class methods are directly called.

"Localhost" ie, running pvserver on the same machine as the client and
connecting to it consists of two separate processes. It is slower
because both processes compete for CPU cycles and memory space more
importantly, because communication between the two takes place via TCP
sockets.

--
David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.