[Paraview] legal summary

Timothy M. Shead tshead at sandia.gov
Wed Nov 5 11:28:08 EST 2008

Dominik Szczerba wrote:

> Actually that was never clear to me in GPL in general. If I develop
> something for in-house use only then there is nobody to give my code to.
> But the code is potentially employed for commercial purposes (including
> generation of income) so it IS being used as a commercial tool, only not
> distributed.

There is a common misconception here ... the GPL does not make any
distinction between commercial / non-commercial usage.  The only thing
that matters when you're dealing with the GPL is distribution: if you
distribute your derived work (outside your company), you must do so
using a GPL-compatible license.  If you don't distribute, you don't have
to do anything.

Cheers,
Tim

--