[Paraview] legal question

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Wed Nov 5 10:31:35 EST 2008

Yes, it is annoyingly complicated. Here is my understanding of the whole thing:

* The binaries we are distributing are under GPL since I use the
GPL'ed version of Qt to make binaries (due to popular demand). We can
do this because we also freely distribute the ParaView source under a
compatible license.

* The source is distributed under BSD. This is OK because we use the
commercial version of Qt to develop it.

* It is OK for us to accept small code/patches developed with GPL'ed
version of Qt.

* You can build plugins that depend on only ParaView libraries and not
Qt under any license you want.

* You can distribute these plugins under any license you want.

* What happens when someone loads those plugins from the ParaView
binaries we distribute is not clear to me. However, there is no way
for this to have any impact on the license under which you distribute
your plugin. That would be like saying if I load a Windows codec in a
GPL'ed application, that codec becomes GPL'ed. I am sure Microsoft
would object to that :-)

* If you are developing plugins that depend on Qt, they either have to
be GPL'ed or you have to have a commercial Qt license.

In summary, I would

* not but a Qt license if I am distributing VTK/server manager only plugins
* buy a Qt license I am distributing plugins that include and link against Qt

-berk