[Paraview] Writing binary VTK

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Sun Nov 2 06:40:41 EST 2008

> I cannot write binary data to newer XML files since I understood that it has
> to be in base64 encoding and I wanted to export my data without using
> external libraries such as vtk. If there is an option to write binary xml
> files, I'd like to hear about it.

This is not true. If you using appended binary format, you do not need
the base64 encoding. You can write it raw binary. The only trick is
that the XML section stores position attributes that point to the
binary section. This requires a bit of book keeping when writing. For
more documentation on the XML format see:

http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_XML_Formats

For those that are willing to like VTK, we have bindings for C and
Fortran to write the XML based file formats.

Also, there is this fortran library:
http://stefano.zaghi.googlepages.com/lib_vtk_io. I haven't used it but
it look promising.

-berk