[Paraview] Is VTU File Reading Parallelized?

John Biddiscombe biddisco at cscs.ch
Fri May 30 10:55:06 EDT 2008

Berk

I foud your question a little confusing, because of phrases like the
following (probably my fault, becausee I wrote UpdateInformation, when I
meant RequestInformation, my bad - as you americans say).
> cannot be set during RequestInformation() because those are requests
> propagated from consumer to producer whereas the RequestInformation()
> is for producers to provide information to their consumers.
When the comsumer request information about the data (e.g. file reader),
it is frequently the case that the file must be opened on all processes,
information extracted and passed back down the pipeline. In many cases,
opening a huge file (on a shared NFS filesystem - yikes), querying the
information about point/cell data, number of cells etc is not necessary
for every node, when later on, node X will be told only to get piece N
anyway.

NB. The paraview GUI ignores the information from all nodes other than
process 0 anyway - so even sending it to the other nodes, seems pointless :)

What I was wondering, is why is UPDATE_PIECE and NUMBER_OF_PIECES not
set in RequestInformation? I've struggled with this for years and never
understood why it is (seemingly deliberately) not set. In most readers,
the file is opened, scanned and information set during
RequestInformation. I have on occasion, sent the information from node 0
to the other nodes using mpi rather than have them open the file
themselves. Often the information depends on the node number and so
lacking this information is strange.

JB

--
John Biddiscombe,                            email:biddisco @ cscs.ch