[Paraview] Comparing datasets - taking a difference

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Wed May 7 11:16:47 EDT 2008

Although it is possible (and fairly straightforward) to create filters in ParaView that load in all of the timesteps at one time, it is something that we avoid for memory considerations and hence do not have anything exposed that will do so.  However, there are many mechanisms in ParaView that will iterate over all of the timesteps of the input so that your filter sequence will perform its calculations on a per timestep basis (assuming your reader is supporting time).

So for starters, you could simply use ParaView's VCR controls to play through the sequence of time and look at the results.  You can also save an animation to get a sequence of images.  If polygonal data is satisfactory, you can also use the "Save Geometry" option to save the polygonal data over time.

It is technically possible for any writer to iterate over time and save out multiple time steps to the file.  Unfortunately, I don't think any writers yet support this feature.  That's something we need to work on.

-Ken