[Paraview] opinion on new machine for visualization

Ricardo Reis rreis at aero.ist.utl.pt
Thu Mar 27 06:37:45 EDT 2008

  Hi all

  This may step out of the paraview only related stuff so if someone
considers this noise please reply me personally. My lab as some money to
buy a new machine, 8 Gb RAM, 2 x dual core or 1x quad core, not decided
yet. Anyway, I'm thinking, for visualization purposes and using paraview,
what would be the best option:

  1 graphic board, super-duper state-of-the-art

  or

  2 graphic boards?

  My idea is that if I'm working with very large data sets, there is a
problem not only rendering but also processing the data and, with only one
graphic board, lauching parallel paraview isn't very good (at least in my
experience).

  I wait your thoughts on it.

  thanks for input,

  Ricardo Reis

  'Non Serviam'

  PhD student @ Lasef
  Computational Fluid Dynamics, High Performance Computing, Turbulence
  http://www.lasef.ist.utl.pt

  &

  Cultural Instigator @ Rádio Zero
  http://www.radiozero.pt