[Paraview] writing storage-efficient .vtu files

Alejandro Aragón alejandro.aragon at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 14:19:28 EDT 2008

Hi everyone,

I've been working with Paraview for a while and I thought that it was
time to move from ascii to a more storage-efficient format. I've been
reading some of the posts in the mailing list but I couldn't find any C
++ sample code to follow in order to create the unstructured grid file.
I would like to know if there is a huge difference between the size of
an ascii file and the inline ascii-base64 file. Also, the difference in
size when comparing with compressed files.

Writing .vtu files in ascii is straightforward, and I wrote my own code
for that but I believe that I'm repeating the functionality found in the
VTK toolkit. On the other half, the VTK toolkit may not be found in some
of the machines where I will run my code, so that limits the
portability.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to create storage-efficient
unstructured grid files so that they can be read without any problems in
Paraview?

Thanks in advance,

a²