[Paraview] Noob Matlab exporting question

Michael Koplow mkoplow at berkeley.edu
Fri Jun 27 17:30:20 EDT 2008

Hello, I am looking for advice to see if this is achievable (I believe
it should be), and how to do it.

I have matlab data consisting of an array of particles (spheres) where
I know the radius and center points of each sphere:  centers = [x1 y1
z1; x2 y2 z2; x3 y3 z3; ....].  I also have transient data about the
temperature of each particle (assumed to be constant per particle) in
a matrix:  temperatures = [t1_s1 t2_s1 t3_s1; t1_s2 t2_s2 t3_s2; t1_s3
t2_s3 t3_s3; ....].

Is it possible to import this data into paraview and use the sphere
command to plot all of the data?  The dataset can be large with the
number of particles ranging up to 400k.  In matlab, there was no need
to store discretized information about the particle other than the
center locations because I assumed constant properties throughout each
particle.

I know about the vtk matlab wiki and storing the data as an ascii
file, but is there a way to set in the ascii file that the points
correspond to sphere centers and not a mesh of points for each sphere?

Thanks for any help!
Mike