[Paraview] vtkCharArray.o recursive build

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Jul 31 09:33:32 EDT 2008

Frederick Isaac wrote:
> I am trying to build paraview 3.2.3 on IRIX 6.5.22m with mipspro
> 7.4.4 and the build enters into a continuous loop trying to build
> vtkCharArray.o.
>
> When I whck the vtkCharArray.o file is created but the build just
> loops again until it eventually crashes

The build log you sent me is full of these lines:

--- C++ prelinker: CMakeFiles/vtkCommon.dir/vtkCharArray.o ---

This is *not* the make tool or the compilation of vtkCharArray.  The
whole block appears during the invocation of the link command.  This is
the SGI prelinker.  It's choosing vtkCharArray.o as a place to add some
template instantiations of vtkVariant::ToNumeric.

> Interestingly I changed the compile to include a -ptused flag which
> got past the problem but the the linker complained when it reached
>
> vtkQueue.o aboutm ultiple instantiations and the build broke again.
> Maybe I can fix vtkCharArray.o with the use of a #pragma to force
> instantiation.

Adding a pragma into any one file will not help in general.  It's just
chance that the prelinker choosese vtkCharArray and not another object file.

In the current development version of ParaView/VTK we have explicit
instantiations for the vtkVariant::ToNumeric method template.  Can you
try checking out from cvs?

-Brad