[Paraview] Reader for data file containing multiple kinds of data?

Mike Jackson mike.jackson at imts.us
Fri Jul 25 11:34:03 EDT 2008

I can get some example code of a reader we are finishing up. We also
store our data in HDF5 files. Some of the data is in a custom format,
some is in a "vtkPolyData" ready state, and other is "2D Plot" type
data.

Our Reader is a based on the vtkUnstructuredGridAlgorithm BUT we have
5 output ports.
   Ports 0 and 1 are vtkUnstructuredGrid
   Port 2 is a vtkMultiBlockDataSet
   Ports 3,4,5 are vtkRectilinearGrid

We then created a new reader class for each of the types of data that
is stored in the HDF5 files. In the top level reader, sub pipelines
are setup to read each of the other types of data. At the end of all
the reading the data is shallow copied back into the output objects
for each port.

In ParaView, what we end up getting is a 3D plot of the
UnstructuredGrids and 3 x 2D Plots of all the other data. It actually
worked out pretty good.

Good Luck.
--
Mike Jackson   Senior Research Engineer