[Paraview] Reader for data file containing multiple kinds of data?

John R. Cary cary at txcorp.com
Fri Jul 25 10:31:00 EDT 2008

I have just ordered the ParaView Guide, and the VTK
Textbook and User's Guide, so answering by reference to
those will be most welcome.

My data files are hdf5 with a schema described by data
attributes, so that I can pick out groups in the file
and classify them as meshes (rectilinear, structured,
unstructured, ...) or data, with the latter knowing what
mesh they live on.  So the reader cannot derive from,
e.g., vtkUnstructuredGridAlgorithm (like the example at
http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView:Extend), as the
data is not all on an unstructured grid.

Furthermore, in the end, I suppose once I get this into
ParaView, the result of opening a file will be the presence
of several sources in the pipeline browser of ParaView.

While I am waiting for the arrival of the above noted
books, can someone point me to any starting point, such
as class that does something similar to this?

Thanks.....John Cary

PS - we currently parse these files with pytables
and then make 2D plots with matplotlib.