[Paraview] "had to make up a value for selection": what am I doing wrong?

Takuya OSHIMA oshima at eng.niigata-u.ac.jp
Fri Jul 25 00:48:28 EDT 2008

Hi,

My reader for the latest CVS head has a selection list within its UI
panel associated with its corresponding vtkDataArraySelection object,
as shown below in its XML representation. The selection list is
initialized when RequestInformation() is called for the first time,
and works perfectly as long as the contents of the list remain
unchanged.

However if the reader try to add items to the selection list later
within RequestData(), the newly added items always appear unchecked in
the UI panel regardless of the status in its corresponding
vtkDataArraySelection, and messages saying "had to make up a value for
selection" are shown in the output window a number of times equal to
the number of items added.

If I remember correctly this piece of code worked fine until rather
recent CVS (within a month or so, but not so sure).

What am I doing wrong?

        <StringVectorProperty
            name="CellArrayInfo"
            information_only="1">
            <ArraySelectionInformationHelper attribute_name="Cell"/>
        </StringVectorProperty>
        <StringVectorProperty
            name="CellArrays"
            command="SetCellArrayStatus"
            number_of_elements="0"
            repeat_command="1"
            number_of_elements_per_command="2"
            element_types="2 0"
    	    information_property="CellArrayInfo">
            <ArraySelectionDomain name="array_list">
                <RequiredProperties>
                    <Property name="CellArrayInfo"
                        function="ArrayList"/>
                </RequiredProperties>
            </ArraySelectionDomain>
        </StringVectorProperty>

Takuya OSHIMA, Ph.D.
Faculty of Engineering, Niigata University
8050 Ikarashi-Ninocho, Nishi-ku, Niigata, 950-2181, JAPAN