[Paraview] [Bug?] Transform Filter does not transform vectors in point data

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Tue Jul 22 11:05:50 EDT 2008

The transform filter will only transform the "active" normals and "active" vectors. The active normals are still used by ParaView and they appear to be transformed correctly. (To verify, create a sphere source, apply a rotate and/or asymmetric scale, and then add glyphs on the normals to see that they still point perpendicular to the surface.) The concept of active vectors is largely abandoned by ParaView. Instead, filters are expected to accept the names of variables to process.

Automatically transforming every field variable that happens to be a 3-tuple as a vector is a bad idea. There is no guarantee that each such variable is in fact a vector with meaning in the same space as the point coordinates. Thus, to properly implement this request, the transform filter should accept zero or more field variables to transform instead of just grabbing the active vectors.

As a workaround, one could use the calculator filter to apply the transform. Translates and scales are quite simple to implement, and rotations that are a factor of 90 degrees around any axis are pretty easy, too.

-Ken