[Paraview] xdmf and hdf5

Simone Deparis simone.deparis at epfl.ch
Fri Jul 11 09:49:54 EDT 2008

Hi,

I am struggling with hdf5 and xdmf. I would like to use hdf5 as
postprocessing files for our parallel simulations. I did find some help
on the net, but I am still far from my goal.

I have time independent mesh, say two tetrahedra, and time dependent
data, say velocity fields defined on the vertices.

To start with, I take the steady case. The xmf file is prova.xmf (sure,
I speek italian ;-) ) and the hdf5 file is prova.h5.
I can load it with paraview 3.2.2 (compiled locally with mpi and 64 bit
support, cf
http://iacs.epfl.ch/~deparis/debian/paraview/ and previous email)

paraview --data=$PWD/prova.xmf &

The first issue is that I can not load it with paraview 3.2.1 nor 3.3.0
precompiled and distributed on paraview.org (both on a amd64 linux box
nor on a mac). Does someone have a hint, please?

The second issue, is that I can not have time dependent data. I do not
know if I am just writing wrong my xmf file (provaTime.xmf), or if
something else is missing. Note that I define the same goemtry, without
any attributes. The file loads but paraview does not recognise the time
dependence :-( (the time variable is not set in the "information")

Thank you for yor help
best
Simone