[Paraview] Fluent files breaking ParaView?

John Biddiscombe biddisco at cscs.ch
Thu Jul 10 09:02:25 EDT 2008

Ian

I can't comment much on the fluent reader in paraview/vtk cvs, but I
found it to be completely useless on anything we use.

We had a number of simulations that were run on 16-64 processes using
fluent, so I created a fluent reader of our own from some code one of my
colleagues used with AVS. The main thing is that it parses the Partition
table before loading any cells/faces and does not load anything that is
not intended for a given processor. (Assuming the original fluent run
was done on a multiprocessor system). It also, uses a much simpler
memory allocation strategy, and only makes space for the cells/faces
that are actually read. If the number of pvserver nodes is less than the
number of original partitions in the fluent data then it'll double up on
some nodes.

The downside is that I have stripped out all information from the file,
except volumes. Boundaries, surfaces, etc etc are all dropped. We load
3D cells and nothing else.

You can build it as a plugin from svn here
https://svn.cscs.ch/vtkContrib/trunk/vtkCSCS/vtkFluent/

When loading in parallel, I am able to load models up to 20 million
cells (tets+hex+prism) (I do not have anything larger yet),
NB. when testing on low memory machines, I set #define LIMIT_PARTITIONS
in the cxx file to some positive number, this forces us to only load a
fraction of the data. make sure this is commented out if you only see
part of the data.

If it helps you, then wonderful. If not, I haven't got time to help!
(I've had far too many emails for other modules I've made available and
I'm fed up with it!).

ttfn

JB