[Paraview] Fwd: paraview making up numbers

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Tue Jul 8 10:51:46 EDT 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Berk Geveci <berk.geveci at kitware.com>
Date: Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 10:51 AM
Subject: Re: [Paraview] paraview making up numbers
To: John Doe <ufnoise at gmail.com>

Let me try to answer your questions.

> 3. Different elements in the same region (lines, triangles), and
> having completely different data arrays per element type.

There is no file format that supports this because VTK/ParaView does
not support it. The best way of achieving it is to write a different
block per cell type that has different arrays.

> I tried this and it created a vtm file, a directory, and a file in the
> directory.  I could see places where there are a log of "nans" and
> 1e307's.  Can paraview read nan's and what does it do with them.

No. ParaView cannot read or handle nans. Nor does it support a concept
of invalid value. All values of an arrays have to be defined. The only
exception to this is the concept of "blanking" for structured grids
(which blanks a whole point/cell not mark a value invalid).

>  Is there anyway to create a flat file format for a vtm file?

No.

> Is the ensight format any easier, or just superior?  Any
> recommendations for a format appreciated.

Writing Ensight is definitely easier. Whether it is superior or not
depends on your use case.

> Requirements:
> 1. Different regions (or pieces) have different data arrays with
> completely unrelated names.
>
> Optional (But would be really, really nice):
> 1. Documented
> 2. Single file format

You should look into the following formats:

Ensight. See http://www.ensight.com/downloads/cat_view-82.html for
documentation.
* It is well documented
* Supports multiple blocks/parts
* Easy to read/write
* It is not a single file format

Exodus. See http://endo.sandia.gov/SEACAS/Documentation/exodusII.pdf
* It is well documented
* Supports multiple blocks/parts
* Requires a library to read/write
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/exodusii). It uses netcdf under the
covers so you can directly the netcdf library too
* It is a single file format

Xdmf: See xdmf.org
* It is somewhat well documented
* Supports multiple blocks/parts
* Requiers library (HDF5) to read/write
* Each dataset is usually 2 files (one xml, one hdf5)

-berk