[Paraview] Does vtkFixedPointVolumeRayCastMapper Work with Unsigned Char?

Patrick Shinpaugh shpatric at vt.edu
Wed Jul 2 17:25:46 EDT 2008

When I was running this data, I was using paraview-3.2.1 and 3.2.2. I
haven't had much success with ParaView from CVS checked out 2008-06-27
09:15. Seems to be unstable (crashes a lot) and only reason I checked it
out was to access some time data which is accessible with the python
interface for a study we are running.

paraview-3.2.2 should give you good results for the volume if that is
all you are doing. I tried adding a single slice to the volume mentioned
earlier and I waited more than an hour, watching top to see that it used
up all available physical ram (~4GB) and 7.5GB of swap before the system
crashed without a single update to the window. I also tried adding a
threshold filter which had the same issue. This was on a 64 bit centos5
machine, with python binding and openmpi though it was only running
locally, built from scratch as a release build. Hopefully you won't have
a similar issue if you try it out.

--
Patrick Shinpaugh
Virginia Tech