[Paraview] Re: Opacity in Colormaps

Kent Eschenberg eschenbe at psc.edu
Tue Jan 15 15:27:44 EST 2008

The original post from 12/4/2007:

==
... seems impossible to change in 3.2.1 (Linux). The "Opacity" entry is
disabled in the "Color Scale Editor". In a saved colormap I tried changing a
point's "o" attribute to zero; no change. Is there a way to get this to work?
==

This was entered as change request 6129 on 12/5/2007 and has become an urgent
issue for us because there seems no other way to achieve this effect:

==
(1) Display a full-color 2D map to establish the location of mountains, foliage
and water.
(2) In front of (1) display a plane of data using a colormap whose opacity
ramps from 0 to 1 as the selected scalar ramps from min to max. Thus (1) shows
through for smaller, less-important values of the scalar.
==

I'd be happy to dig into the source to enable the opacity settings in the
colormap editor. Has anyone done this? Can anyone suggest where to start?

Using 3.2.1 on Linux.

TIA!
Kent
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center