[Paraview] Cutting With Python

Kent Eschenberg eschenbe at psc.edu
Fri Feb 29 16:33:15 EST 2008

Thanks for the information! This should really jump to a list for PV
developers, if one existed, since most of you just use it interactively.
However, if you plan to use batch mode, read on.

Berk Geveci wrote:
>>  1) Why are there items in servermanager that are NOT already proxys? As I
>>  understand it servermanager is used only in client-server mode.
>
> I am not sure I understand the question. Also, servermanager is always
> used not only in client-server mode. It is the Model, in paraview's
> Model-View architecture. There are a few cases where it is required to
> access the client-side VTK objects directly but most of the time, you
> should access proxies only.

Sorry I wasn't clear. Lets say I am only working with a Python script to be
used by pvbatch. There is no client.

Maybe there is a division here that is not yet clear. From Python its starting
to sound like one could use two styles:

a) Work directly with the server-side VTK objects using the Python wrappers
found in servermanager.vtk (e.g., a simple Python version of the C++ routines); or

b) Work with proxys for the VTK objects found in
servermanager.sources/filters/rendering or proxy objects created as Utkarsh
described using servermanager.createModule.

**If** that is correct then

1) What I did was to try to add something from 'a' directly to a pipeline being
built with 'b' and that of course failed.

2) Are their situations where style 'a' is better/worse than 'b'?

3) Does 'a' support parallel processing?

Kent
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center