[Paraview] MinGW compilation

Mike Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 15:47:38 EST 2008

http://www.itwriting.com/blog/?postid=261

explains it way better than me. Basically with VS 6 there was DLL
hell. With VS 7, MS tried to alleviate the problem by saying put all
your DLLs in the same directory as the executable. This alleviated DLL
Hell but MS could NOT centrally admin those c runtime libraries like
they could in VS 6. So they came up with DLL versioning. But to use
this each user has to run an executable that installs the VS 8 Runtime
DLL in system32, which requires admin access. My users don't have
admin rights on their machines. So basically this would require 2
support calls to our computer support department. One to install the
VS8Runtime dlls and another to install ParaView. With VS2003.Net it is
a drag and drop installation, and probably with MinGW.

Hope that explains it. (I have gotten a real education on this today.
You know me, I am an OS X/Linux guy)

Mike