[Paraview] Error compiling FFMPEG with paraview

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Wed Feb 20 10:44:12 EST 2008

The particular error you are getting means that when paraview is bring
compiled, it can not find the file
${FFMPEG_INCLUDE_DIR}/ffmpeg/avformat.h. This can happen if ffmpeg did
not compile and install properly, or if the setting of the variable
does not match the location of the file.

Either the command prompt or editing the Cache can work, but I
wouldn't recommend it. A better way to make settings is to use CMake's
UI to choose them interactively. To do that, run "ccmake ." in your
paraview build directory and run through the settings. When you change
a setting and configure, for example turning VTK_USE_FFMPEG_ENCODER
on, the UI will prompt you to for any any other settings that depend
on that choice, for instance FFMPEG_INCLUDE_DIRECTORY. Running cmake
from the command prompt and editing the cache directly are better for
scripting and do not have as nice a mechanism to help make sure the
settings are sane. The UI also has tab completion, which is
particularly helpful to make sure that the directory you are setting
exists. So make sure to choose the include directory in the ffmpeg
install tree, and not the include/ffmpeg directory, also make sure
that the file avformat.h exists in the include/ffmpeg directory.

About the svn thingy, I would not recommend it. Since I put that copy
of the the ffmpeg source onto the vtk web site, the ffmpeg developers
have substantially improved the library. Unfortunately some of their
changes broke backwards compatibility. This might be the source of
your problem. Their is an open bug on the vtk bug tracker to make
VTK/ParaView work with more recent ffmpeg, but until that is resolved
we are stuck with ffmpeg from a particular date. To make a long story
short, compile the version of ffmpeg from the tar ball and not a
version from the ffmpeg repository.