[Paraview] Plot on a Contour surface

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Mon Dec 29 13:02:26 EST 2008

I had some figuring this one out. Here is the pipeline:

reader -> contour -> triangle strips -> (extract selection) -> clean
to grid -> extract surface

The purpose of each filter is:

contour: extract the boundary
triangle strips: combine the points of each line to create polylines.
Otherwise, each line segment is a separate cell.
extract selection: extract one of the polylines if there are more than
one (optional)
clean to grid: convert to unstructured grid and remove duplicate points
extract surface: convert to polydata. This filter has the useful side
effect of ordering points along the polyline so that the polyline has
points 0, 1, 2, 3... instead of 0, 5, 3, 9. This is necessary for
plotting

Once you apply this pipeline, you can create a XY Plot view and plot
any variable along the curve. I can't remember if this worked on 3.4.
It definitely works with the development (cvs) version of ParaView.

In the next version, there will probably be one filter that does
everything I described here.

-berk