[Paraview] Can sources use filenames in property panels?

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Tue Aug 26 11:04:29 EDT 2008

To try to solve your problem another way, you can create multiple readers that read files with the same extension and resolve which one to use by implementing a CanReadFile method.  Before assigning a file to a particular VTK reader class, ParaView will try to run a method called CanReadFile that takes a const char* filename argument.  If that method exists and returns false, that reader is not used.  This process works outside of the server manager functions, so you don't need to make any modifications to the server manager XML.

There are several examples of readers in VTK/IO that implement the CanReadFile convention.  You can look at those for more details.

As I recall, first reader found that either has no CanReadFile or a CanReadFile that returns true is used, and the readers are traversed from the last registered to the first.  This is so that readers defined by plugins can conditionally override readers for file extensions that already exist.

-Ken