[Paraview] Xdmf wrappers for our HDF5

Jean Favre jfavre at cscs.ch
Tue Aug 26 10:23:11 EDT 2008

Eric E. Monson wrote:
>  We use the Xdmf wrappers for our HDF5 for now.
I am still encounteering major difficulties with Xdmf (cvs version of
yesterday). Speed and Memory. When reading in parallel for example, the
Xdmf reader attemps to allocate memory for the WHOLE grid on every node
(independent of the number of pvserver nodes) causing memory crashes.
There must be a problem reading the Extents. Using straight HDF5, I pass
the Extents as hyperslabs and it works fine. I can read 2048^3 in
parallel. For smaller grids, if memory is not a problem, the Xdmf
wrapper works too, still considerably slower.

Jean -- Swiss National Supercomputing Centre