[Paraview] questions about writing a parallel reader

Takuya OSHIMA oshima at eng.niigata-u.ac.jp
Tue Aug 19 11:08:46 EDT 2008

Hi,

I am now modifying my reader to work in parallel and managed to get
its preliminary version to work, using vtkPExodusIIReader and Section
21.3 "Parallel Readers" of the ParaView Guide as references. However I
am still somewhat uncertain about its implementation details and have
several questions:

1. What is the differences between
  outInfo->Get(vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline::UPDATE_NUMBER_OF_PIECES())
and
  vtkMultiProcessController::GetNumberOfProcesses()?
Similarly, what is the difference between
  outInfo->Get(vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline::UPDATE_PIECE_NUMBER())
and
  vtkMultiProcessController::GetLocalPricessId()?
Is it safe to assume that they return the same values respectively?

2. How do property changes on GUI propagate to each reader thread?
Are they supposed to propagate to all threads, or only one thread,
e. g. the thread where UPDATE_PIECE_NUMBER is 0?

3. How can I update the progress bar at the bottom of the GUI?
Sometimes UpdateProgress() works but sometimes not. What is the
supposed way of doing it? Again, can I assume that the standard way is
to update it from the thread where UPDATE_PIECE_NUMBER is 0?

Thanks,
Takuya

Takuya OSHIMA, Ph.D.
Faculty of Engineering, Niigata University
8050 Ikarashi-Ninocho, Nishi-ku, Niigata, 950-2181, JAPAN