[Paraview] Xdmf time series loads as Multi-block Dataset

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Mon Aug 11 16:29:19 EDT 2008

Hey all,

Maybe I'm behind on my Xdmf XML format again, but my files that a
month or two ago loaded a time series of unstructured grids now loads
into ParaView CVS as a Multi-block Dataset with one block for each
time step at each time point.

Let's say I have 1200 Polyvertex time steps in my file. I can (slowly)
step through the animation of my grid, but at each time point the
progress bar is cycling through a bunch of work, and each time point
lists (in the Information tab Data Hierarchy pane) a Multi-block
Dataset made up of 1200 Unstructured Grids. Clicking on each of these
blocks reveals that only the "current" time step block has Data Arrays
associated with the grid. So, at each time step of the animation, the
process seems very slow because 1200 blocks are being loaded, only one
of which actually has real data in it. (The Time pane at the bottom of
the Information tab always lists the correct time indices and values
for the whole series.)

Maybe this is just a change in the way time series are dealt with, but
it is much slower with my data sets, and it made more sense to me to
have each time step able to be represented as a simple grid, if
desired. (I have been using a self-modified vtkXdmfReader.cxx file for
a while, so I'm not sure when this multi-block issue would have
appeared.)

Thanks,
-Eric