[Paraview] need/share parallel 32-partitions data

Stephen Wornom stephen.wornom at sophia.inria.fr
Mon Aug 11 09:15:58 EDT 2008

Berk Geveci wrote:
>> I tested data from two independent sources.
>> 1-legacy
>> 2-xml binary data
>> both work for a 16-piece data set using 4, 8, and 16 processors.
>> neither works for a 32-piece data set for 4, 8 or 16 processors. Therefore
>> it seems that the number of pieces of data cannot exceed the maximum number
>> of allowed processors which seems to be 16.
>>

> Nope. No such limitation exists. VTK_MPI_MAX_NUMPROCS is only used by
> the testing framework to determine how many processes the tests should
> use (the same with some of the other VTK_MPI_XXX flags). There is
> something else that is causing the problem here. I would not use the
> legacy formats by the way.
I use the xml version.
>  They are not designed to support
> distributed data. Out of curiosity, how do you create a 32 piece
> legacy file?
I checked, I misspoke, both are xml .pvtu and *.vtu files.
> How are you creating a multi-piece VTK XML datasets?
> There are multiple ways of doing it.
>
> As I mentioned it before, the best way of testing parallel
> functionality is to start with datasets/source that are known to work.
> For polygonal models, I would use the sphere source and jack up the
> resolution.
There seems to be two approaches to parallel visualation.
1-The paraview file contains the global mesh and say 32 processors are
used to visualize the global data. Maybe I am confused but this would
seem to be the approach that you suggest above. Else, how would I split
the above into partitions?
2-The approach we use is we want to avoid writing global mesh files and
a global .vtu file and instead write a .vtu file for each processor. For
a computation using 256 processors, 256 separate vtu files are written
at each time step with each file being approximately 1/256 the size of a
global file. The idea is to use say 32 paraview processors to visualize
the 256 vtu files at each time step.
Stephen