[Paraview] Getting data into Paraview to build 3D volume

Dominik Szczerba dominik at itis.ethz.ch
Sat Aug 2 13:04:05 EDT 2008

Hi,

Lester Anderson wrote:
>   Hello Dominik
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. I have seen various variants on the netCDF
> importer but all require the paraview source code to be compiled, not
> something I do personally. The problem with netCDF is that you end up
> dealing with two variants, one which only accepts a single variable like
> XYZ where z would be say elevation, and in effect you have a 2D layer.
> The other variant is based on the COARDS convention and allows multiple
> layers and variables to be built in to netCDF - this is not so easy to
> construct.
>
> It does seem that Paraview is great if you can get your data into a
> suitable format, otherwise it seems to be a lot of effort. In that
> respect, I do feel that having more generic import options, and a built
> in netCDF option, would be a big benefit to users, particularly working
> in geophysics.
>
>  From reading the details on netCDF COARDS, writing a CDL file is the
> way of simplifying the construction of a multi-scalar netCDF volume, but
> clearly involves a lot of extra manipulation.
>
> The thing to really ask is if you have a file giving a position in the
> data volume (XYZ) and one or more scalar values at the given position,
> in an ascii file (e.g. CSV) is there a simple way of getting the data
> into Paraview as a true volume dataset?

certainly, you can convert such data to a format required by VTK volume
data. see technical papers -> format specification somewhere on the vtk
page how such file would have to look like.

I do think that support for cgns or netcdf would attract more people to
Paraview. But as you say this is not trivial as such formats have
structures, zones or layers in them. Good idea for a concrete project,
just need to get funding.

-- Dominik