[Paraview] stress tensors

Gertjan van Zwieten gertjanvanzwieten at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 12:47:11 EDT 2008

Hi all. I am new to paraview, and playing around a bit to see if it
fits my needs. It looks good but I can use some help.

I have created a simple structured_grid vtk datafile, with deformation
vectors as point_data and 3x3 stress tensors as cell_data. The
deformation I can visualize by either coloring or a warp filter. But
how to visualize the stress tensor? I can not find any tensor related
options / filters - for instance, a way to compute maximum principle
stresses (largest eigenvalue) or surface traction (stress times
normal). What would be perfect is to make a clip or slice and
visualize the traction at that plane as glyphs. Is something like that
possible?

In the list archives I found a similar question [1] that was answered
as "Everything you want to do (and more) to display finite element
structural analysis results is available in ParaView." - without
further explanation. Could someone please point me in the direction?

Gertjan

[1] http://www.paraview.org/pipermail/paraview/2005-March/001261.html