[Paraview] gradient filter dumps core

Server Levent Yilmaz leventyilmaz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 13:25:17 EDT 2008

Thanks for you reply Ken.

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 10:46 AM, Moreland, Kenneth <kmorel at sandia.gov> wrote:

>  So far I have not been able to replicate this.  I have used both ParaView 3.2.1 and ParaView CVS with the Wavelet source.  Can you tell us more about your data?  Can you send an example?

Sure. Please download this sample dataset from
http://miyav.ath.cx/t_/imagedata.tgz (54KB). The package includes 3
binary vti files, 1 legacy ascii vtk file, a time series pvd file and
2 text files of stack dump after crash. The image data consists of
several 10^3 point data scalars.

There are multiple ways to replicate the problem:

Case1 - Open file iter0.vti; add Gradient Magnitude filter; Apply {pv
shouldn't crash yet, but there is no meaningful output}; Delete
Gradient Mag. filter; Delete iter0.vti {pv crashes with stack dump in
error1.txt}

Case2 - Open file steps.pvd; Play time steps; Add Gradient Filter;
Apply {pv crashes with stack dump in error2.txt}

Case3 - I can not replicate this consistently. But, with Case1 after
Apply step, I sometimes get

ERROR: In /home/levent/pkg/ParaView3.2.1/VTK/Imaging/vtkImageGradientMagnitude.cxx,
line 255
vtkImageGradientMagnitude (0x1afff70): Execute: input data type, 11,
must match out ScalarType 10

on the output window. Following this is identical to Case1.

In Windows version, Case1 hangs paraview (busy wait), Case2 crashes
with Qt error in my previous post. No stack dumps.

hth
Levent

--
Server Levent Yilmaz