[Paraview] vtk XML StructuredGrid data file format

Hom Nath Gharti hng.email at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 06:11:33 EDT 2007

Dear all,

I am confused with the vtk XML StructuredGrid data file format. For instance
I tried to plot one cube with following data file:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<VTKFile type="StructuredGrid" version="0.1" byte_order="LittleEndian">
<StructuredGrid WholeExtent="0 1 0 1 0 1">
<Piece Extent="0 1 0 1 0 1">
<PointData Scalars="Density">
<DataArray type="Float32" Name="Density" format=""ascii">
0.000000
0.250000
0.500000
0.750000
1.000000
0.000000
0.500000
1.000000
</DataArray>
</PointData>
<Points>
<DataArray type = "Float32" NumberOfComponents="3" format="ascii">
0.0         0.0          0.0
1.0         0.0          0.0
0.0         0.0          1.0
1.0         0.0          1.0
0.0         1.0          0.0
1.0         1.0          0.0
0.0         1.0          1.0
1.0         1.0          1.0
</DataArray>
</Points>
</Piece>
</StructuredGrid>
</VTKFile>

I could not plot it and got errors. Where can I find the ASCII vtk XML
StructuredGrid data file example? I think I did not understand WholeExtent
and Extent clearly.
Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
HNG