[Paraview] ParaView 2.6.1 on OS X 10.5 Leopard

Mike Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 22:24:22 EDT 2007

Turns out there are a number of issues with X11 on OS X 10.5 Leopard.
This best way to come up to speed on the issues is the following link:

http://wiki.finkproject.org/index.php/Fink:Packaging:Preparing_for_10.5#OpenGL_Bug

After reading that I was able to implement a few things against the PV
2.6.1 source base. My notes are captured below. I doubt this will ever
be patched into PV2.x cvs but I am posting here in case someone else
needs to get PV 2.6.1 running under OS X 10.5. The Bug is definitely
Apple's. I am hoping the way I implemented my patch will allow one to
easily turn the fix on and off.

Once I did get it running the window drawing was very slow (may just
have been the debug build but I am guess it has something to do with
tcl/tk using QuickDraw instead of Quartz). The OpenGL display _was_
accelerated though which is still a good thing.

Here are my Notes:

#-- Put the following in a file called
${ParaView_SOURCE_DIR}/CMake/OSXLeopardX11OpenGL.cmake

IF ( OSX_LEOPARD_OPENGL_FIX )
  IF (APPLE)
    IF (VTK_USE_X)
      #IF(CMAKE_COMPILER_IS_GNUCXX)
        SET (CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS
"-Wl,-dylib_file,/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib:/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib"
)

        SET (CMAKE_SHARED_LINKER_FLAGS
"-Wl,-dylib_file,/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib:/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib")
       # ENDIF(CMAKE_COMPILER_IS_GNUCXX)
    ENDIF (VTK_USE_X)
  ENDIF (APPLE)
ENDIF ( OSX_LEOPARD_OPENGL_FIX )

In the Top Level CmakeLists.txt file insert a new option into the OS X section:
  OPTION(OSX_LEOPARD_OPENGL_FIX "Adds Linker arguments needed to
correctly select the X11 OpenGL Library" TRUE)
# ----------------- End OS X 10.5 X11 Patch ----------------------------------

Then in all the following Files:

VTK/Utilities/vtkftgl/CMakeLists.txt
VTK/Rendering/CMakeLists.txt
VTK/Common/CMakeLists.txt
VTK/VolumeRendering/CMakeLists.txt
Utilities/VTKTclWrapping/CMakeLists.txt
Utilities/VTKClientServer/Rendering/CMakeLists.txt
Utilities/VTKClientServer/Hybrid/CMakeLists.txt
Utilities/VTKClientServer/Parallel/CMakeLists.txt
Servers/Common/CMakeLists.txt
Utilities/Xdmf/vtk/CMakeLists.txt
Utilities/VTKClientServer/Xdmf/CMakeLists.txt
Utilities/VTKClientServer/VolumeRendering/CMakeLists.txt
Utilities/VTKClientServer/Widgets/CMakeLists.txt
Servers/Filters/CMakeLists.txt
GUI/Widgets/CMakeLists.txt
Utilities/VTKClientServer/Infovis/CMakeLists.txt
Servers/ServerManager/CMakeLists.txt
Servers/Executables/CMakeLists.txt
GUI/Client/CMakeLists.txt

insert the following line somewhere:
INCLUDE(${ParaView_SOURCE_DIR}/CMake/OSXLeopardX11OpenGL.cmake)

Rerun cmake and build. It should run.
--
Mike Jackson
imikejackson _at_ gee-mail dot com