[Paraview] Deleting Items in Python

Robert Maynard RobertJMaynard at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 09:49:57 EDT 2007

Thanks to everyone that helped me figure out how to delete registered
objects from paraview. The below code is an example on how to properly
delete items from paraview with the python interface. Hopefully this helps
somebody else out, since the current servermanager pdf skipped this problem.

pxm = servermanager.ProxyManager()
view = servermanager.GetRenderView()

object = servermanager.SphereSource(registrationGroup='sources',
registrationName='sphere') #create and register the sphere
display = paraview.servermanager.CreateRepresentation(object, view,
registrationGroup='representations') #register the display of the sphere

pxm.UnRegisterProxy('sources', 'sphere', object) #delete the source
reference to the sphere
pxm.UnRegisterProxy('representations', 'sphere', object) #delete the
representation ref of the sphere (do not pass the display object to this, it
will cause paraview to crash on the next manual source creation)

rep = self.view.Representations   #save some typing
size = range(len(rep))            #need to keep track of the length since
.index() is not aviable

#need to delete the view representation copy, or else the sphere will stay
on the render window
for item, index in zip(rep,size):
  if (self.display == item):
    del rep[index]