[Paraview] paraview novice attempts 1st viz

fredrikaustin fredrikaustin at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 3 12:15:24 EDT 2007

Thanks for the reply, Ken.

Of course I know paraview cannot interpret the data; perhaps I should have said "I was looking for a way to tell paraview that I have three columns of data, and that they correspond to points in x,y,z space respectively.  Please plot the data".  This is a simple enough request, provides all the information necessary, but I could not find any UI that seemed designed for this simple purpose.

If there is not a simple way to plot such csv 3d data (as points in space, as a surface, etc), I would think there should be.  It seems a lot of data would start in this very straight-forward format.

-thomas blom

"Moreland, Kenneth" <kmorel at sandia.gov> wrote:        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}                     Sorry Thomas, but you are asking for the impossible.  You cannot expect ParaView to magically apply semantic meaning to the columns of your data and generate a topology that is not nonsense (at least, not without a lot of help).  You have asked ParaView to read in a table (a csv holds a table of data, no more, no less) and that is exactly what ParaView has done.  You can view the data in a spreadsheet-type view and you can plot the columns of data.

  You should use a data format that gives the topological nature of your data.  If your data is arranged in a 2D grid, you can store the data in a simple image format.  The simplest image format is just a 2D array written out as binary data to a file (read in with the “Raw (binary) Files” reader).  ParaView also reads in .png files and it’s pretty easy to extend it to read other image files.

  You can also stuff your data into VTK Legacy File format.  This is a simple file format that supports most of the types of data that VTK can handle and is pretty easy to build by hand.  You can get information about hat format from the VTK User’s Guide or in the following link.

  http://www.vtk.org/pdf/file-formats.pdf

  -Ken