[Paraview] Run Paraview on SVA

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Thu Nov 29 16:55:03 EST 2007

> (1) When using reverse connect, it prints out the following error:
>
> ICET,0:ERROR: Sizes of src and dest do not agree.
>
> every time Paraview refreshes its rendering.

That error usually occurs when the available display on node 0 is larger
than one or more of the other displays in your cluster.  I'm surprised
this only happens in reverse connect, it generally has nothing to do
with the direction of the connection.  At any rate, work with your
system administrators to make sure X Windows is set up to have the same
size display on all nodes in your cluster.

> (2) Right after "sva_paraview.sh -l -r 2"
>
> There will be warning/error message:
> Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11
forwarding.
> /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth:  error in locking authority file
> /home/guanw/.Xauthority
>
> no matter I issue "unset XAUTHORITY" and "module load mpi/hp" or not.

I dunno.  Maybe your system administrators can help you hash out issues
with X Windows permissions.

> (3) Except for the first render node, all the the other render nodes
> consume 100% CPU constantly.

That is not uncommon with some implementations of MPI.  When the server
is sitting at idle, node 0 is listening for a socket while all others
are sitting in an MPI_Recv call.  Some implementations of MPI must
implement MPI_Recv in a loop that constantly polls for incoming data (I
guess).  At any rate there is nothing we can really do about it.

-Ken