[Paraview] reverse connection

Weiguang Guan guanw at rhpcs.mcmaster.ca
Mon Nov 26 14:13:01 EST 2007

Hi Jean,

Thank you for responding to my question...

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Jean Favre wrote:

> here is what you should have. in your home directory, check the file
> ~/.config/ParaView/servers.pvsc

I have the file on both computers, each of which specifies the other
computer as Server with ManualStartup. (Note: here the two computers are
not part of our SVA, they are two computers in my office running linux
box and X server is up and running)

> 1) start the server on B waiting for A (command pvserver), then run the
> paraview client on A (paraview --server=B)

I did this successfully, but this is referred to as "forward" connection,
right?

> or
>
> 2) start the paraview client on A, waiting for B like this:  paraview
> --server=Brc
> and from B, give the command: pvserver -rc

Right after issuing "paraview --server=Brc (before "pvserver -rc" on B),
a error dialog pops up, saying

ERROR: In
/home/berk/Work/ReleaseBuilds/ParaView3/VTK/Parallel/vtkClientSocket.cxx,
line 53
vtkClientSocket (0x85e0ab0): Failed to connect to server stereo3d:11111

Could not connect to requested server " stereo3d ". Creating default
builtin connection.

Weiguang