[Paraview] Understanding the PVSM File from 3.2.1

Kent Eschenberg eschenbe at psc.edu
Mon Nov 26 13:37:36 EST 2007

We'll be using these files for some batch work so I thought I'd look through
one just once. A few questions.

1) Documentation of the PVSM

In a few cases its obvious how to understand what needs to go into this file if
you read about the corresponding C++ class. But there are many other cases
where that doesn't seem to be the case.

Is there a documentation of the PVSM file somewhere? Or is one never to edit it
directly? Editing is almost always needed for batch work.

2) Why so much boilerplate?

There is a huge section defining things that I didn't change: lookup tables,
camera manipulators and simple sources. Don't paraview and pvbatch already know
all this? Why not include only changes?

3) Orphan End Tags

Inside the ServerManagerState section there end tags

     <CompoundProxyDefinitions/>
     <Links/>

with no corresponding start tags. A bug? Most XML interpreters would get rather
upset about this.

TIA!
Kent
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center