[Paraview] Announcing ParaView 3.2.1 (stable)

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Mon Nov 19 13:43:51 EST 2007

Hi Folks,

Kitware, Sandia National Laboratories, CSimSoft and Los Alamos Laboratory
are proud to announce the release of ParaView 3.2.1 (stable). You can
download it from
http://paraview.org/HTML/Download.html.

This release includes the following enhancements/fixes:

* New animation view for viewing, creating, modifying animations. This
is improved version of the ParaView 2.6 animation tracks. We have made
it more intuitive and easier to use.
* The "Element Inspector" has been replaced by brand new "Spreadsheet"
view which makes it possible to view the raw data produced by any
source/filter.
* Filters with multiple outputs and inputs are now supported. This
opened doors for several new filter such as glyph with custom source,
stream tracer with custom point source etc.
* There are several improvements to charts including support for vector
data in line charts (magnitude or component), support for labels, titles
and legends, custom chart axes end points.
* Selection support has undergone a major overhaul. It is now possible
to select cells (or points) on surface of geometry or within a view
frustum by simply dragging on the 3D view. The properties of the
selection can be inspected/changed using the brand new "Selection
Inspector" accessible through the "View" menu. "Extract Selection"
filter can be used to extract the selected cells or points. Labels can
be used to label the selected cells or points.
* Support for eXtensible Data model and Format (XDMF) files is back and
improved to support composite datasets, quadratic elements, mixed
topologies. It is now possible to change domain and grid selections as well.
* We are working on making ParaView totally at ease with composite data
sets. As a part of the process histogram (and soon probe) filters now
work with composite datasets. The python client can fetch composite
datasets as well as perform operations such as min/max/sum on these dataset.
* A new python module is introduced which makes dealing with proxies
convenient. A separate document is available describing these python
enhancements.
* This version has many GUI usability improvements including but
definitely not limited to:
  - view based and application settings.
  - using mouse clicks for picking center of rotation, point widget
location.
* We are constantly trying to make the documentation better. The online
help has been extended to include the new functionality added since 3.0.

We would like to acknowledge Sandia Labs and Los Alamos Lab for their
continuing support and funding.

Enjoy.

Berk Geveci