[Paraview] Custom Filters not showing in PV3.2

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Thu Nov 8 18:14:48 EST 2007

Hey again,

Regarding setting the PV_PLUGIN_PATH environment variable to auto-
load plugins: I just remembered that you are probably using OS X, so
just in case you weren't aware of them, I thought I'd pass along the
tricks I learned recently for setting environment variables in OS X
for "double-clickable" apps.

Here's a link describing how to set environment variables for all
processes launched by a specific user:
http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1067.html

You can also set the environment on an app-by-app basis by editing
the Info.plist file in an application package, as referred to at the
bottom of this page:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/
BPRuntimeConfig/Articles/EnvironmentVars.html

For example, in ParaView 3 I can use the Property List Editor to
modify [...]/paraview.app/Contents/Info.plist, adding the
LSEnvironment Property List Key to look like:
http://www.duke.edu/~emonson/Image-5972b59f.tiff

or, editing the xml text directly in Info.plist, I would just add
these lines as a key-value pair:
         <key>LSEnvironment</key>
         <dict>
                 <key>PV_PLUGIN_PATH</key>
                 <string>/Users/emonson/Programming/ParaView_cvs/
ParaView3_build/bin</string>
         </dict>

then when I double-click paraview.app my plugins are loaded
automatically.

Hope this is helpful to someone,
-Eric

Eric E. Monson